Five Ways To Avoid Another Civil War
Donald Trump has come on the political scene as a confident juggernaut, despite all the adversity against him (half brought on by his own actions), and Hillary continued a presidential campaign while being investigated by the FBI (due to her actions as well). Neither let the opposition get in their way. Both are driven and rarely back down. They almost come across as cartoon characters serving up entertainment for Americans who can't seem to get enough, but all say they've had enough, myself included. The line has been drawn in the sand and now voters must make a critical decision. Is it Captain Make America Great Again or Iron Woman?
The stress of this election is getting to many and I've even entertained the idea of hosting a political group therapy session where we could attempt to listen to one another's point of view. This came about as I have a couple of friends who have posted many questions asking how any Christian and/or woman could support Trump. To be forth coming, I am a Christian who voted for Dr. Ben Carson and now plan to vote for Trump, and I feel my reasons are valid due to the research I have done. I know they feel theirs are valid as well. My hope is that we can really listen and be heard as well.
I don't make excuses for Trump. I am a female voter who has endured sexual harassment and hurtful, ugly comments from men when I was overweight. (Not to mention disturbing comments by strange men over the years about my hair color.) I am also a survivor of rape by someone I trusted, so I can assure you I don't take Trump's or the Clintons' actions lightly. I have forgiven those who have trespassed against me because I too am in need of forgiveness. As you can see this election season has brought up many deep issues for all of us. In case your wondering why I would vote for Trump, here are seven links that sealed my decision this election year.
Since these controversial candidates are left representing the two divided sides of our country, what does that really say about We The People? Hillary says, "I want to send the message. ... America is already great. But we are great because we are good, and we will respect each other." Which causes me to ask the question, are we really respecting each other and are we good or just good in our own eyes?
Out of concern for all the divisive things happening in our country, I wanted to share five ways we can avoid an all out civil war in our country again. Remember the last question of the second Presidential Debate? How we all needed that refreshing moment. So please consider these five suggestions and leave any other suggestions you may have in comments section.
1) Consider for a moment what would be the worst thing the media or an internet hack could expose about you to your friends, family and the general public, if you were one of the candidates. (Don't just jump to the next suggestion, really think about this one. Have you ever lied, stolen, committed adultery, dishonored your parents, wished someone dead in your thoughts or on paper, envied someone else's success, created your own god to worship, or taken the Lord's name in vain?) I'm guilty of most. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. James 2:10 ESV
2) Instead of becoming jaded by the political process, try to genuinely pray for both of the candidates, and refrain from making inappropriate fun of them or of those that support them. First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 2 Timothy 2:1-2 ESV
3) If you ask people who they are voting for and why, do so only with a with a sincere interest in understanding, instead of an excuse to thrive off of the heat of an argument or just to win. Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20 ESV
4) With all the racial tension, tell someone you know that their life matters to you, and thank an officer for their service. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Philippians 2:3 ESV
5) Consider asking God to reveal any hypocrisy and pride in your own life and focus more on the changes that need to happen in you rather than highlighting the faults of the candidates and their supporters? (I need help with this ALL THE TIME!) Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! Psalm 139:23-24 ESV
After getting back from Washington D.C. last month, I realized a couple of things about both presidential candidates I appreciate. Watching Clinton (68) and Trump (70) going full throttle in this race has encouraged me to run the race and go for the dreams that God has placed in my heart. In addition, because the debates have been anything but boring, my oldest son has been interested in politics and learning how our government works.
After seeing clips of the Former Secretary of State collapsing at the 911 Memorial, my heart sank for her. It was a reality check on just how fragile the most driven among us really are. I don't agree with her policies, but I don't wish ill upon her. It reminds me of how we all face challenges until that day where we don't get to participate in this life anymore. I hope for all people to find their true purpose and calling in the Lord and to give it all they have.
What do you want to come out of this election? I know that I want justice, and for us as a people to honor God and each other; to no longer be at odds with one another.
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, Proverbs 24:17 ESV
When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers. Proverbs 21:15 ESV
Stay humble & BOLD!
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105 ESV
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV
To check out my testimony click here
To like my facebook page click here
Find me on twitter @humble_bold
Find me on Instagram humbleandbold
Well said. I'm not one for politics but I appreciate your heart. You carry a lot of wisdom. The world is on the brink of a huge revival so it makes sense that there is a lot of tension.
10/14/2016 03:19:50 pm
I like your insights. I have avoided sharing any of my thoughts about the whole mess yet have been faithful in praying.
10/14/2016 05:36:25 pm
Very well rounded sincere post. I love how optimistic you are looking for the good no matter what. I try to do the same. I have been worn out and discouraged by all the bickering. But I will say that there have been many friends of mine on Facebook both liberal and conservative that have debated amongst themselves in a way that is honoring and courteous and I am really impressed and encouraged by that. There is a way to talk about our points of view without belittling our disrespecting anyone. In the end God is still on the throne and I have a peace that passes understanding about that.
I wasn't sure what to expect when I clicked on this post, but it was very thoughtfully written. I have good friends who are voting for both major parties, but my best friends are voting third party (I'm kidding! Kind of lol). I think sometimes people look to the government to change things when in reality we are called - actually, COMMANDED - to go out into the world and change things. At the end of the day God doesn't need a president to carry out his will.
Leave a Reply.
Christina is an
There are some links on my humble & BOLD site that are affiliate links, which means I receive a small compensation if you purchase the product or service. The compensation will in no way influence the content, posts or topics made on this blog. I only link to products that are highly rated and that I feel would be of benefit to my readers.